Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Knees, knees, KNEES!

As many of you know, I had a lateral release and a meniscusectomy on my left knee. For the first two weeks everything was wonderful. Then as I was innocently walking down the hall of my home it felt like a hundred knives had been shoved into my knee joint. At that point all of the muscles above and below my knee constricted into what can only be called a hellish ball of flesh invisibly consumed by flame. Yup, SO FUN!

After three weeks of trying to get my doctor's office to return my calls I went to my previously scheduled follow up appointment. He told me that this kind of surgery takes several months to heal completely and get the muscle control to support the new position of the knee cap. Further, he explained that the knee cap will move back and forth a bit, falling out of the groove of the joint. When that happens the bones grind and it is excruciatingly painful. That makes sense to me, since it has been happening several times a day for the last few weeks.

I am very concerned that it may not be strong enough for me to endure the long hours of tour with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and the extensive walking it requires. He told me that if it isn't in tip top shape by June he will give me a shot of cortisone to help me through the tour. Following tour I would have a total knee replacement.

I guess what I am asking is this: Please pray for me. I do not want to have another total knee yet. I desperately want this procedure to work for a few years. I want to be able to fulfill my calling in the choir without the distraction that pain presents.

I know that my problems are so small compared to the vast challenges faced by others. Honestly, I am grateful to have only the problems I have!

Edye

3 comments:

Chelsea said...

My prayers are with you! :) Go MOTAB!

kim said...

Edye,

We will definitely keep you in our prayers. We love you!

Kim, Jason and Fam

Carly said...

WE love you and pray for ya aunt edye. love, carly :)