Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Yearly Physical

Hello All,

Last Friday was time for my yearly physical which I haven't had for about 10 years. During the physical the doctor told me that she wanted me to have my thyroid checked because she felt some nodules on it.

I went in for an ultra-sound today. About two hours after my appointment my doctor called with the results. I have "Multinodular Goiters" and an enlarged thyroid. On my right side there is a nodule that is over 2cm in size that is different than the rest. They will do some sort of biopsy and then a scan to determine what the heck is going on there. Hopefully that will happen next week while we are in Spring Break.

The doctor told me not to worry too much. Rarely has she seen these turn out to be malignant. Of course, I would have felt better if she had said she had NEVER seen them be malignant but that is unrealistic.

If they are all benign they will just leave things as they are and watch the nodules for additional growth. At some point they can grow to the point that they impede the ability to swallow and then surgery is the only option. My only concern with surgery is that the nerves that control the vocal cords is dangerously close to the thyroid and it is at HUGE risk for damage during that procedure.

When my sister, Linda was 47 she had to have her thyroid removed because of the same thing. Her singing voice has never recovered. Although there are MANY worse things than losing the ability to sing, I don't relish the thought.

Anyway, that is the latest and greatest. Look for me on the back row in the left section of the choir during General Conference. I will be in the aisle seat!

4 comments:

SAYDA said...

Oh Edye, how scary. I hope all will be well. You have the most beautiful voice I've ever heard. We love you. We will keep you in our prayers.

Chelsea said...

You will also be in my prayers. I remember a story my dad told me after you had your gall bladder removed...Can't luv yer gutz, you have none left to luv!! The good ol' days...

Tamari said...

We will keep you in our hearts and prayers. Sure love you! :)

The Enloe Family said...

I am sorry to hear that. Scary and not fun to just sit and wait. Let us know how things go and what you find out. You are in our thoughts and prayers and love you tons and tons!!!