Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Any of you who really know me, know that when life gets difficult, I do a show. I know, working in theatre can be stressful in an of itself. However, it is a stress I can actually CONTROL! I run the rehearsals (musically, anyway) and when in rehearsal I am like a man - SINGLE MINDED!!! NOTHING enters my mind during the rehearsal hours except the show.

Well??? My production of Seussical the Musical opens on Monday. Whew! I started rehearsing You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown last week for the Old Lyric Repertory Company. Thus, I am adequately 'distracted.'

There are a few things that seep through the rehearsal barrier. One such thing happened today.

During my 25 minute break at school I often go into the office because I find the office personnel rather comical. Four of these ladies have sons who are either about to leave or have very recently left to serve a mission for the LDS Church. It has been fun for me to watch them get ready to send their 'little boys' off into the mission-field. None of these ladies have served a mission so they really don't know what is in store for those boys, but they are nervous and scared for them.

Today, their conversation revolved around how hard it is for them right now. They just don't know how they are going to survive without their boys. They complained about how difficult it was to see them go into the MTC. They mourned the fact that they couldn't go farther than security in the airport when their little boys left for their areas of service. They were so SAAAAAD because of all of the above.

Frankly, I wanted to slap them. Do you have any idea how thrilled I would be to be able to send my child on a mission?!?!?

Court yesterday was difficult. Although we don't know exactly where Vosco will end up, these things we do know. 1) We have no more decision making power in the life of our 14 year old son. 2) It may be YEARS before the four of us can EVER do anything together again. 3) We will have limited (if any) moral influence on our son during his remaining juvenile years. 4) We may NEVER live together as a family again. 5) Although we have no decision making power in our son's life we still get the distinct pleasure of paying the state 'child support' until he is out of their custody.

I do not tell you this so you can "feel sorry for me" or for any other silly reason like that. Our life is what it is. We will do everything in our power to make sure our Vosco gets EVERYTHING he needs to succeed in this life. Ultimately, the success or failure of his treatment lies in his hands, but we will never stop doing what we can.

All I ask is this: PLEASE be grateful for the gifts you are given. These families who have missionaries out will see blessings in their lives FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIVES! I have been off my mission for over 22 years and I STILL see blessings from my service.

Sometimes blessings have some discomfort associated with them. In the midst of the trials we have faced we have seen an abundance of blessings and our faith has increased. I wish I didn't have to go through this trial... but I am grateful to take it head on and fight with all of my might.

Just be grateful and don't whine!

9 comments:

Amy said...

Point taken....I love you Edye :)

Carly said...

Just try to remember that for some people the most difficult thing they've had to deal with is sending their son on a mission- which is a huge sacrifice. It may not be anything compared to your burden, but it's the biggest burden they know. It's so true, we need to appreciate our blessings and our burdens that are blessings in disguise and we need to be sensitive to those around us and their circumstance as well.

I hope this trial becomes the best thing for your family. You are all in our thoughts and prayers and we love you all!

Anonymous said...

Having sent 2 sons and taking another son next week to the MTC (to Russia no less), I agree with you Edye. While it is difficult to see them go,I have not ever seen it as a sacrifice or a burden because I understand what they are doing. I do not relate to moms who have such a difficult time without their sons who are serving missions. Like you said, we all want our sons to have that opportunity. There is no other place I would rather have them at that time in their lives. But, it is very difficult for some parents none-the-less.
I am so very, very sorry that you have this trial, but it is here and you are doing all you can. Having seen what my parents have gone through with a son who has much experience in the courts and all that goes with it, my heart goes out to you and Reed. Parents carry burdens that others will never understand unless they go through it themselves. Never give up! Vosco is blessed to have the parents he has. My prayers are with you and your family. Let me know if there is anything I can do. You KNOW I will! Love ya!

DizzyLizzy said...

Love you to pieces!

Tamari said...

I wish I had some eloquent words to give you at a time like this, but all I can think of to say is that you and your family are in our prayers and that I love you. Hang in there! You have the right attitude, stay close to the Lord and He will guide you in everything you do.

SAYDA said...

Like Tamari said... I wish I could put in words all the thoughts that are going through my head but I've never been good with words. Please know that I love you and that you are always on my mind. You are such a strong person. It's amazing how much you love your children. You are in our prayers always. We can't wait to see Miss Ruby. Dick has an appointment Wednesday. Can we bring her with us or are you still in school?

Kris Bushman said...

I love you all!!! The love that your family is and has will be enough!

SAYDA said...

Aubrey said, Yay!!!!! She is bored already and it has only been one week of summer. Let us know!

We love you!

Meandering Mel said...

Love you Edye. :)
I'm glad that you will/are be doing/working on two sweet and uplifting shows.
Keeping you guys in my thoughts. :)