Tuesday, April 13, 2010

So much to catch up!

Well.... Hello!

Have you EVER known someone who updates their blog less than I? I kinda don't think so.

Nauvoo.

Three weeks ago Ruby, Reed and I went to Nauvoo, IL for my speaking engagement at their Women's Retreat. None of us had ever been there. Honestly, we had no idea what awaited us.

It all started with two flights from SLC to Denver to St. Louis. Ruby had never been on a plane before. (well, she had when she was 9 days old but that doesn't count.) I was so excited to see her response during all phases of the flight. She had a window seat on every leg of the trip. Turns out, she hates the window seat. It makes her tummy upset. Still, it was fun to watch her and hear her perspective on the whole experience.

How many of us remember our own childhood trips with family? We would bring a book or two, play games with each other or use those many hours on the road as nap time. It always seemed fun to me. Ruby had her ipod and a DVD player as well as a toy and a few books. You have never seen anyone more bored than that child. Her batteries died on the electronic equipment during the layover in Denver. You would think we had told her she needed to have her teeth pulled without any anesthetic. WOW! Finally, she got a grip and tried to look at the whole experience with fresh eyes.

When we got to St. Louis we went straight to the car rental place. They upgraded us to a big car. A Crown Vic. I must be getting old because I REALLY liked the car. It was HUGE. It was BLACK and I felt like a member of the Mafia. Suddenly I wanted to speak in a strong NY dialect and make idle threats to everyone I saw.... but didn't. :-)

It is a 3 hour drive from St. Louis to Nauvoo. It was still afternoon so we could see the beautiful landscapes during our journey. I am 44 years old and had never seen the Mississippi River. OH. MY. GOODNESS! It was amazing to me. HUGE! Made me wonder how it ever froze over so the pioneer's could cross it safely. I am still trying to picture that.

There are no mountains in this part of the country. Rolling hills and vast vistas are the rule there. Because it was still early in the Spring everything was pretty brown and barren. It was simple to imagine how very different it would look when crops were planted and trees were in full bloom and the thought was breathtaking. I would love to see it at that time.

By the time we got to the Nauvoo Villa's where we were staying it was just dark. Even though I had seen the website for this property I was utterly shocked at how wonderful it was! We walked in the front door and a small house opened up to me. Living room that opens into the dining room (seats 8) and a very well appointed kitchen with every dish, utensil and cooking item you would ever need. There was even a washer and dryer! SHEESH! Then there were the two bedrooms. Both had a king sized bed. One had an additional twin bed. Each bedroom had its own bathroom. It was nicer than many starter homes I have seen. We felt like we were completely spoiled!

The next day we spent the time looking and learning about this spirit-rich part of the country. We looked up some information about some of our ancestors. Honestly, I had no idea I had so much familial history there. We went to the Land Use office and were given a map of the area with the parcels of land owned/rented by our ancestors. It was so much fun to find these parcels of land and take pictures. You can actually feel their presence. Their sacrifices. Our blessings.

I had the unique opportunity to speak to some 150 women at the beginning of this Women's Retreat. Being first is a wonderful position. You don't have to worry that what you have prepared is a repeat of someone else! You can just go in there with a prayer and trust that the Lord will prepare the way. He did.

I spoke of my family. The one grew up in and the little family I have as my own. I spoke of trials. I spoke of the countless tender mercies extended to us each and every day.

I met women from all walks of life. Brave women who have weathered their trials with spiritual dignity and depth. I was able to bask in their light and experience as we shared private conversation that expressed our unique love from our Father in Heaven. He truly loves us all with perfect love.

Reed, Ruby and I came home with so much more respect for our ancestors and their trials than we had before. We were able to experience some parts of their lives as they lived them. Making Rope from plants. Dying wool from whatever resources they had in the area. Flowers, plants, insects. I looked at their work in utter awe.

We were able to see the Smith Family Cemetery. To stand on this sacred ground and feel the presence of those brave people was an experience I shall never forget. To see, along the banks of the Mississippi River, the loss of life these families endured with honor was remarkable. Truly sacred ground.

We were amazed to walk through Brigham Young's house. To see his handiwork in every part of that home was astounding. The attention to beautiful detail was everywhere.

We went to Carthage. I stood in the room where Hyrum and Joseph Smith were martyred. I saw the hole in the door made by the shot that killed Hyrum on impact. I stood at the window Joseph Smith was thrown through because of the shots fired. The weight of that martyrdom still hangs inside those walls.

Our trip to Nauvoo was something we will cherish forever. I will never be able to adequately express the lessons learned there. We have been asked to return as guest speakers again next year. I am counting the days until we experience more of that sacred place.



No comments: